Transform Lives Through Teaching
The San Francisco Teacher Residency (SFTR) is a non-profit organization that offers aspiring educators the opportunity to help transform lives and communities in San Francisco through the teaching profession. Plain and simple: we are on a mission for social justice. SFTR aims to improve academic achievement and social-emotional development for historically underserved students in San Francisco’s public schools by recruiting, preparing, and supporting highly effective and equity-centered teachers.
Through SFTR, you will:
Participate in a San Francisco-focused program that will prepare and support you to teach in SF’s highest-needs schools and communities, which includes:
- A yearlong classroom apprenticeship with a Cooperating Teacher
- A collaborative learning environment with a fun and supportive cohort of students from the University of San Francisco and Stanford University
- Weekly courses taught by SFTR and SFUSD leaders on topics relevant to San Francisco teachers, including implementing restorative practices, developing trauma-informed classrooms, building partnerships with families, and understanding the SFUSD common core curriculum
- Three years of coaching support
Receive financial support to make your journey into the teaching profession more affordable
- Earn your Master’s degree and California Teaching Credential from Stanford University or the University of San Francisco at reduced costs – 40% tuition remission at USF and significant loan forgiveness at Stanford – in return for committing to teach for a minimum of three years in SFUSD
- Eligible for possible housing stipends upon completing SFTR
Have a guaranteed teaching job in SFUSD upon successful program completion.